Vote For Teachout & Wu
by Paul Wolf - posted 12:04 am, September 9, 2014
I have never been a fan of Andrew Cuomo. In my opinion he is a phony.
Cuomo Operates Behind Closed Doors
Cuomo ran promising the most transparent administration New York has ever seen. The Governor claims to support open and transparent government yet:
– Cuomo and his top staff use an untraceable email service on their BlackBerries to communicate.
– A new state policy allows for the destruction of emails after 90 days. There is no reason for government emails to be destroyed other then to make less information available for public inspection.
– Cuomo administration officials purged records from the state archives from Cuomo’s time as attorney general.
– Cuomo’s administration does not have a good track record as far as responding to Freedom of Information requests.
– The details of Cuomo’s legislative items are often not publicly disclosed with enough time for public discussion and input.
– During his campaign, Governor Cuomo pledged to increase transparency in the governor’s office by posting his meetings on the internet, but his online schedule rarely contain more detail than a single sentence identifying the city where the governor will spend the day. As Attorney General Cuomo refused to provide a copy of his schedule, something that previous Attorney Generals did not have a problem with.
Cuomo Is Bought And Paid For By Special Interests
Cuomo has raised an astonishing $60 million dollars since becoming Governor. He is the king of pay to play special interest money. He portrays himself as representing everyday common New Yorkers, but $60 million comes with a lot of favors to pay back. When the Moreland Commission set up to investigate corruption in New York started to look at contributions made by real estate developers (where a lot of Cuomo’s money comes from), Cuomo’s office interceded and ultimately shut the commission down abruptly.
The facts are:
– Over the last two years, only 1 percent of the money raised by Cuomo’s campaign came from donors who gave him less than $1,000
– Only about 5 percent of donations to the governor came from donors who gave less than $2,500.
– Nearly 40 percent of money raised by Cuomo for his campaign fund came in donations of $40,000 or more.
– 79 percent of the money raised by Cuomo since he took office has come from entities and individuals who have given him $10,000 or more apiece. 142 corporations, unions or individuals have donated at least $40,000 apiece and seven contributed between $100,000 and $500,000.
Understand that big money people give money with the expectation that they will be paid back through tax breaks and government grants to their businesses. Programs like the Billion for Buffalo are an important part of the pay to play political culture.
Cuomo Is A Petty Thin Skinned Control Freak Obsessed With Running For Higher Office
As former Governor Eliot Spitzer stated “The problem that Andrew has is that everybody knows that behind the scenes, he is the dirtiest, nastiest political player out there, and that is his reputation from years in Washington.” The New York Times did an interesting profile of Cuomo’s leadership style and in many ways it paints a picture of a leader that talented people might not enjoy working for. Some quotes from the article:
“… he has … alienated subordinates, who call his demands unrealistic, his approach overbearing and his intolerance for disagreement dispiriting.”
“… he will have to learn to trust and empower a broader circle of subordinates, and allow for pushback. If he does not, he could fail.”
Debates should be a part of every election. Our government officials should get on a stage and be subject to questioning with their opponents. Debates are an important part of the process. Cuomo either due to arrogance or cowardice has refused to debate his democratic opponent Zephyr Teachout. Cuomo is obsessed with running re-election by the largest margin possible so that he can be considered a Presidential candidate. Candidates obsessed with power and feeding their egos are scary.
We Need To Shake Up The Status Quo
We need more primaries and more challengers willing to take on incumbents. Join me in voting for Zephyr Teachout for Governor and Tim Wu for Lt. Governor. I am sure Kathy Hochul is a nice person but she is a status quo career flip flopping politician who will not express an independent thought without Cuomo’s permission. While Hochul is from WNY, a Wu victory will send shock waves through Albany and will be a serious setback to King Cuomo.
Teachout and Wu are not career politicians they are educated and sincere people willing to rock the pay to play corruption by which Albany operates. If you want to shake things up in Albany vote for Teachout and Wu.