All the news, views, and filtered excellence fit to consume during your morning grumpy.
1. In this week’s podcast at Trending Buffalo, Brad Riter and I discuss Sergio Rodriguez and why no one wants to help him run for Mayor, along with a few other Buffalo Mayoral issues.
2. Can Andrew Cuomo make New York the “progressive capital of the nation”— by empowering Republicans?
3. David Cay Johnston: There are 6 million corporations in America, but 2,600 of them, a tiny number out of 6 million, own 80 percent of the business assets in America.
4. Meet the right-wing non-lawyer who may get the Supreme Court to kill affirmative action and voting rights.
6. The police are watching your Google searches: Of the governmental requests, Google says that it complies with about 89 percent, and 68 percent are made without a search warrant.
7. In the past three decades, the number of Americans who are on disability has skyrocketed. The rise has come even as medical advances have allowed many more people to remain on the job, and new laws have banned workplace discrimination against the disabled. Every month, 14 million people now get a disability check from the federal government. Who are they? Why has this happened and what does it mean for the economy?
8. This is ostensibly advice for women, but it’s also a tip I received from a an Air Force Officer before I gave my first major intelligence briefing to a group of flag officers. This little tweak can reconfigure your brain to help you be more assertive, confident, and relaxed. It works.
Fact Of The Day: Medal of Honor recipient Thomas Baker was gravely wounded and had his comrades leave him behind, propped up against a tree with a pistol that had 8 bullets remaining. Later they found his body next to the tree, surrounded by 8 dead Japanese soldiers. So, quit whining about your case of the Mondays.
Quote Of The Day: “If you don’t understand something, and the community of physicists doesn’t understand something, does that mean that God did it? Is that how you want to play this game? …A talk show you might have conducted 200 years ago might have said, ‘The planets do retrograde? Can’t understand that, must be a god.’ And we’d say, ‘You know, you’re right.’ And ten years later, we understand it. So if that’s how you want to invoke your evidence for God, then God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that gets smaller and smaller and smaller as time goes on. So, just be ready for that to happen.” – Neil deGrasse Tyson
Video Of The Day: The Most Depressing Cooking Show Ever.
Song Of The Day: “Ya Never Know” – Terraplane Sun
Follow me on Twitter for the “incremental grumpy” @ChrisSmithAV
Like The Morning Grumpy on Facebook
Email me links, tips, story ideas: email@example.com