Old Car Dealer Dept.
by Jim Corbran - posted 7:00 am, April 22, 2010
Back when this ad ran in the November 27, 1968 Buffalo Evening News, F&W Olds was located at 2201 Bailey Ave., at East Ferry. These days the building is occupied by Harmac Medical Products Inc., which produces high-quality, custom, single-use devices for customers around the world.
But back in late 1968, the new 1969 models were in F&W’s showroom, including the pictured Ninety-Eight convertible ($4,719) and the Toronado hardtop coupe ($4,835). One could get into a new 1969 Olds, an F-85 six-cylinder sports coupe, for as little as $2,561. The rarest ’69 Olds was the Cutlass town sedan, with only 137 produced. This year’s brochure cover touted Oldsmobile’s new way of thinking: Youngmobile. Hmm, not sure that really played very well to their core buyers (who were usually anything but young). Neither did their guru of the Olds muscle-car stable: Dr. Oldsmobile and his W-Machines. Sounds like Olds marketing was done by committee.
F&W had a number of used Olds Ninety-Eights featured in today’s ad: ’68 four-dr hdtp, $3,695; ’67 conv., $2,795; and ’65 two- and four-doors at $1,795. F&W moved in 1974 to 1540 Walden Avenue in Cheektowaga, currently the home of Basil Ford.
…Jim Corbran, You Auto Know
(click here to go to WNYers & Losers blog)