Old Car Dealer Dept.
by Jim Corbran - posted 5:01 pm, March 25, 2010
Back in 1964, 81 Young St. @ Delaware in the City of Tonawanda N.Y. was home to Wolf Motor Sales Corp., a Studebaker/Mercedes-Benz/International-Harvester truck dealer. Not really that unusual of a mix, considering that Studebaker was the North American distributor for the German luxury make back in the 1960s. It’s pretty obvious from some of the signage that Wolf had been around selling Studes for a few years — the big vertical neon sign reads “Studebaker Packard,” while there’s still a “Packard Clipper” sign in the front window. The last Packards were made in 1958 (and they were merely Studebakers with different grilles and tail lights). Studebaker itself faded away after the 1966 model year, when only 8,947 cars were built at the Hamilton, Ontario plant. In 1964, when this photo was taken and this ad ran in the Yellow Pages, Studebaker sold six- and eight-cylinder Larks, as well as the Hawk and the Avanti. Prices ranged from $1,943 for the lowly Lark Challenger two-door sedan, up to $4,445 for the Raymond Lowey-designed Avanti four-seat sports coupe.
Today a Consumer’s Beverage Center occupies the building.
…Jim Corbran, You Auto Know
(click here to catch up on WNYers & Losers blog)