Artvoice: Buffalo's #1 Newsweekly
Home Blogs Web Features Calendar Listings Artvoice TV Real Estate Classifieds Contact

Gramigna Goes Too Far

Filed under: Uncategorized
Tags: ,

I don’t expect much truth when I visit the political gossip sites authored by Joe Illuzzi and his former employee Glenn Gramigna. I read them to see who they’re bowing and scraping to, what stories and rumors they’re being paid to promote. Both—the Scientologist Gramigna and the born-again Christian Illuzzi—engage in wanton slander and misrepresentation. (And I use that term as a writer, not a lawyer.) I can’t imagine why anyone would take them seriously, or why so many politicians support their con.

Today Gramigna goes too far with this post, in which he suggests that housing activist Dick Kern, late of Buffalo and currently of Minneapolis, has confessed to writing the nonsense about Byron Brown that led to the Syaed Ali affair.

Here’s what Gramigna posted:

Ex Buffalo Activist Admits Writing Notorious, Totally False Byron Brown E-Mails

Written by Glenn Gramigna, Editor
FORMER LOCAL ACTIVIST, GADFLY ADMITS WRITING LIBELOUS, COMPLETELY INACCURATE BYRON BROWN E-MAILS IN PHONE CONVERSATIONS

NewWNYPolitics has learned that a former Buffalo political activist, who has since left town, has admitted authorship of that notorious series of e-mails which falsely sought to implicate Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown in various forms of improper conduct. The confessions came in a series of phone calls this individual has made recently. Known to mix erratic behavior with occasionally intelligent critiques of area shortcomings, this person has stayed active in local affairs through e-mails and phone calls, while living out of the area in recent years. His signed e-mails often consist of wild charges and bizarre claims, not unlike those contained in the civilly actionable series of untrue cyberspace attacks aimed at the Mayor.

Meanwhile, despite the claims of some, WNY information technology entrepreneur Syaed Ali, has not permanently forsaken Buffalo for Toronto, Stamford, CT or anywhere else. Instead, this 25 year old high tech professional is currently on a business trip to the West Coast and intends to return to the Queen City soon.

Dick Kern has been a lot of things to a lot of people, but there one thing he’s never been: anonymous. The emails about Brown were sent under a pseudonym. Leaving out the absurd content, with which Kern would have no truck, anonymity is by itself enough to disqualify Kern as the sender.

Earlier this week, Kern asked Syaed Ali for an update on the job opening she’s been advertising on Gramigna’s site. Ali responded with a request that Kern cease and desist from emailing him.

And today Gramigna, who’s been happily accepting advertising from Ali’s company since the scandal broke in January, comes out with this nonsense.

• observer

“Leaving out the absurd content, with which Kern would have no truck, anonymity is by itself enough to disqualify Kern as the sender.”

Not only that, but wasn’t there some matchup of IP addresses of those original anti-Brown emails to IP addresses of some more recent emails defending SAIL-IT or Gramigna? I don’t recall exact details of that.

Also the similarities in writing style between the emails, the supposed text messages, and some pages which were at the time on the SAIL-IT web site.

• Peter A Reese

Criticize Gramigna all you want, but at least Lenihan corrects the spelling and grammar before he allows Glenn to post items. Reading Illuzzi can really make your head hurt.

• Rodriguez

Well, now, “ain’t that the pot calling the kettle black.”

So these two are flauting their religious backgrounds while, very probably, the founders are rolling in their graves.

It’s one thing to spin a story and very much another to caste all in out lies.

Considering the fact that most readership on both sites are either their advertisers or those, like Mr. Kelly, looking to see what the trash is out there, I also ask why anyone would advertise on them.

And, on the Gramigna site, you can easily tell which article was written by him and which was written by the person he is interviewing.

• Mr.Justice

Who cares about Gramigna more serious business below.

Leonard Stokes on his restaurant: I will try my hardest to rectify things. I’m an entrepreneur, a young person. It’s a business venture that failed.
    Bill Wippert / Buffalo News

Updated: 05/24/09 08:52 AM
    BUFFALO NEWS INVESTIGATION
    City Hall’s costly entry into the restaurant business
    Development agency helped finance and manage short-lived restaurant that has left taxpayers stuck with the bill
    By Patrick Lakamp and James Heaney
    News Staff Reporters
    Story tools:

* Larger
    * Smaller
    * Save
    * Print
    * Email

More Photos
    “These people (the BERC) should have never opened a restaurant for him.” Sam Reda, business consultant