Artvoice: Buffalo's #1 Newsweekly
Home Blogs Web Features Calendar Listings Artvoice TV Real Estate Classifieds Contact

Get Stimulated!

Filed under: News
Tags: , ,

taxthb.jpgOur friends at the I.R.S. sent us these handy tips…

1. When will I get my refund? Visit and click on “Where’s My Refund?” You’ll need to input the primary Social Security Number on your return, your filing status (Single, Married Filing Jointly, etc.) and the amount of refund you expect. If you don’t have Internet access, call 1-800-829-1954 to check on your refund.

2. When will I get my Economic Stimulus Payment? “If you requested Direct Deposit on your tax return, you will get your stimulus payment between May 2-16 and paper checks will be in the mail from May 16- July 11. Check out the Stimulus payment schedule on which is based on the last two digits of your social security number,” IRS New York Spokesperson Kevin McKeon said

3. Not happy with the amount of your tax refund? Fix it now for next year by adjusting the amount you pay in. If you’re an employee, use the IRS’s online Withholding Calculator to figure the correct status and number of allowances. Then adjust your withholding by filling out a new Form W-4 with your personnel office. If you’re self-employed, adjust your estimated tax payments. And if you’re not making estimated tax payments, you can start on June 15, the next due date, using Form 1040-ES. Visit for details.

4. I made a mistake when I filed my return, how can I fix it? The IRS may correct math errors and may accept returns with certain forms or schedules left off. But if, for example, you left off reportable income, you can file a Form 1040X to amend your return. The form is available at or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM. .

5. I’m too busy to file by April 15, how do I get an extension? “If you need more time, e-file your request for an automatic extension electronically by April 15. E-filing a request for an extension is convenient, safe and secure, and taxpayers receive confirmation to keep with their records. The extension gives taxpayers until Oct. 15 to file the tax return. Those who owe taxes should make a payment when they file the extension either by mailing a check or by several electronic payment methods, such as electronic funds withdrawals from bank accounts and credit card payments,” McKeon said..

…but come to think of it, we wish we’d known that last one two days ago.